Friday, October 01, 2010

A Year Ago Today

I have once again fallen into the negligent blogger category, but it's not for want of material! I actually have several posts kicking around with lots of fun pictures. But life just keeps getting in the way of documenting it.

One year ago today, I arrived in Argentina for the second time. I remember the flight and my arrival very clearly - I had tons of electronics I was sure customs wasn't going to let me get away with, but they didn't even blink. I remember Sol picking me up and going back to her (our, for a few months) apartment and getting into the single bed that smelled kind of funny and taking a long nap, and then going out afterward to buy sheets and a comforter and other household items and getting unpacked and then sleeping for another long while. I did a lot of sleeping/lazing around in that apartment; it wasn't until I moved in with Amy that my funk lifted and I started being active and social and feeling happier. Of course I also decided not long after that that I would be returning to the states - probably forever- earlier than I had planned, and that relief helped me really enjoy the rest of my time.

Now, exactly one year later I'm making another move, this time to my own apartment on Capitol hill. I just have to get through a full day of work, pick up the keys, and then start moving boxes tonight. My new furniture gets delivered tomorrow and then it's off to IKEA for the remainder on Sunday (after football of course).

It feels like I've come a long way in a year and I like the symbolism of choosing to really settle in on the anniversary of the last time I abandoned country.

I hope to welcome you all to my new home - with new furniture for the first time in my life! - soon. In the meantime, stay tuned for updates with photos. Once the craziness has died down (my schedule for the next 10 days is kind of insane) then I'll work on the blog post backlog.

Happy October to all!

3 comments:

Desomniac said...

Ikea will be closed by the time football is over. That is unless you're planning to skip the Sunday night game and I wouldn't recommend that.

ElizaBeth said...

I'll skip the night game - sacrifices must be made!

Momma Archer said...

Welcome home. I'm beyond glad that you have decided to grow roots in Seattle. A whole new exciting chapter is just beginning. Can't wait to see your new apartment with all your fabulous new furniture. Yeah!