Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Shameless Appreciation for Acupuncture

I feel like sometimes acupuncture is on that list of things we admit to doing with eyes turned downward to avoid the smirk such a confession might draw. Well, I refuse to hide under the Western rock of shame any longer! I've been getting acupuncture on and off for about two years, and in August I made a concerted effort to get acupuncture every Saturday morning at the inspired Community Acupuncture Clinic in Columbia City as part of a physical and spiritual cleanse. I know I should give the community clinics on Capitol hill a try but I just love CAPCC.

The sky’s the limit in terms of what I’ve sought help for with acupuncture, and I always see results. Physically, it has effectively eliminated my lock jaw and carpal tunnel in my right wrist; it eases the tightness in my shoulders and neck from sitting at a desk; it helps my thick blood flow so I don’t get sore calves from minor clots; and it has, on more than one occasion, relieved intestinal issues.

On another level, I often request points to raise my energy level, release stress, and help me with anger/sadness/resentment/whatever I’m feeling that I want to work through. One especially memorable time I felt an extreme heaviness concentrated around a needle in my shin until it built to a level where it imploded on itself, leaving me feeling light as air. Very intense and incredible to experience. Even when I don't have such tangible sessions, I always leave feeling like my batteries have been recharged and I spend the rest of the day at total peace. I wish I could go every day.

I had a conversation about the benefits of acupuncture with someone recently and he was pretty science-snobby about it: “It’s just endorphins being released into your body.” “There’s no science to back it up.” I feel bad for closed-minded people who need more evidence than a centuries-old practice and a person in the flesh describing the countless health advantages she has reaped. And really, who cares WHY it works? The fact is, it works miracles for millions of people. I'm not from the show-me state but even if I were I'd still buy into acupuncture because I've seen and experienced first-hand what a blessing it can be.

If you’ve been considering it I can’t recommend it enough, and I especially encourage you to check out a community acupuncture clinic near you. It's less expensive and has a warmer, cozier feeling - the shared energy of multiple people receiving acupuncture at the same time is both comforting and powerful, unlike the often sterile, lonely rooms of private acupuncturists.

Have you done acupuncture? What was your experience like?

p.s. Happy birthday to my mom today! Mom, you're so awesome.

1 comment:

AmberAnda said...

It's so great to hear that you have had such concrete, positive results. I've never tried it but would really like to!