Monday, October 31, 2011

Internet Intervention

As most people close to me know, I haven’t owned a TV in years. This is not because I’m a snob. It’s because I’m an addict.

Until recently I didn’t even have internet in my apartment, but once I got it the natural follow-up was a Netflix account. The combination of chilly weather and unfettered internet access has turned me into a Netflix junky. So far I’ve seen tons of movies, most of Pawn Stars, most of The League (I'm an unlikely fantasy football fiend), and all three seasons of Arrested Development (for the second time).

Most recently and embarrassingly I engaged in a marathon of the TBS show My Boys. To my credit, this show has sentimental meaning since when I lived in Philadelphia the only worthwhile channel I got was TBS, and when I was in Argentina for the first time I spent several depressed weeks with e-coli and general malaise watching American television. When I see the title I still pronounce it with a bad Spanish accent: “Siguente… Mey Boiz.” But I was watching upwards of 7 episodes in a row, each time swearing it would be the LAST ONE before I’d make dinner/clean my house/write a blog/do yoga/go to bed. Thank heavens it was only 4 seasons long.

I decided it was time for an intervention and have imposed a Netflix (and all other sources of TV on the internet) moratorium for the month of November, excluding 2 hours on weekends. Think I can do it?

2 comments:

AmberAnda said...

You can totally do it! I support this. I also feel like I spend WAY too much time online. I was just about to renew my Netflix subscription but I know that will just make more computer time. Arg, it's hard this time of year when it gets dark earlier and earlier. I want to read more though and do crafts, and I think if internet/computer is not an option, I would be much more productive. Good luck!

jrteacherlady said...

Too cute!! I could use a little TV therapy but not yet......... I LOVE all your cooking blogging:) I wish you lived closer so it would rub off on me a little!